Subject: Re: [Boost-users] I can't build boost!
From: Robert Dailey (rcdailey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-14 23:24:05

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Robert Dailey wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Vladimir Prus <
> vladimir_at_[hidden]>wrote:
> >

> >> No offense intended -- many people don't know, and there are
> alternatives.
> >> Can
> >> you please apply the attached, replace --layout=system with
> --layout=tagged
> >> and try again? You should get the same results that --layout=system had
> in
> >> 1.38.
> >

> > I was not offended. I was actually joking about it, but it's hard to
> express
> > that through text.
> >
> > It is not a bug -- system layout was changed on the purpose and will stay
> >> this
> >> way. It's just everybody has different requirements and desired naming.
> >

> > What exactly was it changed to?
>
> It was changed to not adding anything to the name (not even "mt" or "d),
> except
> that on Unix, version number is added at the end -- after ".so" extension,
> and
> a symlink without version number is created.
>
> > I have *never* found a library that used a
> > naming convention that boost uses. I also have yet to find someone that
> > actually likes the mangled boost library names. There is no practical
> reason
> > to use mangled names as far as I'm concerned.
>
> On Unix, or on Windows? On Unix you are right, and --layout=system in 1.39
> produces names that use the same convention as every other library. On
> Windows,
> I have no idea.
>
> > The only thing that I can think of that the extra mangling would address
> is
> > side-by-side installations of boost. For example, someone could have 1.38
> > and 1.39 installed together on the same system and library files will
> > coexist, and not be overwritten.
> >
> > Anyway, thank you for the patch. I will try it out when I get home in a
> few
> > hours.
>
> Let me know if it works.

I think I might be having trouble with the patch. I downloaded patch.exe for
windows and I ran the following inside of the boost_1_39_0 directory:

patch.exe tagged.diff Jamroot

The output I get is:

**** Only garbage was found in the patch input

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the patch file corrupt?