Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Integral type with no upper limit?
From: Marshall Clow (marshall_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-26 19:04:02

At 1:00 AM +0200 5/27/09, Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
>Scott McMurray wrote:
>
>>> Is there an integral type in Boost that has no upper limit? The only
>>> physical limit would be the amount of memory on the system. And of
>>> course, the larger the number, the heavier the math is on such an object,
>>> because more cycles are required.
>>
>> People keep proposing them; The latest I know of is mp_int, which can
>> be found at ...
>
>Perhaps Boost shouldn't reinvent the wheel? There's already an open-source
>arbitrary precision arithmetic library: http://gmplib.org/

Which says:
        GMP is distributed under the GNU LGPL. This license makes the
library free to use, share, and improve, and allows you to pass on
the result. The license gives freedoms, but also sets firm
restrictions on the use with non-free programs.

There are people using Boost for both free and non-free programs.
It's my understanding that we (Boost) want to continue to support all of them.

--
-- Marshall
Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:marshall_at_[hidden]>