Subject: Re: [Boost-users] CMake thoughts
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-07 10:09:05

> Ok, its not *the* way, but when working in x-platform development
>> (win/mac/linux) and you just want to checkout the
>> source tree and have everything "work" directly (and not worry about what
>> packages to install to make the project compile), its the best way imho.
>>

> I still don't agree, because you are intermingling separate modules, with
> the consequence that you impose certain requirements on those modules (i.e.
> you need them to build in a certain way, which is probably the reason for
> your orgiginal post).
>
> Using find_package doesn't preclude you from doing a single checkout, and
> have everything work. All you need to do is set the correct search path (
> set (CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH <your_path>) ) before using find_package.
> Additionally you have a script (you can use CMake for this, too) which
> builds all your (external) modules in the right order.

I think, but am not 100% on this, that the FindBoost.cmake included with
CMake 2.6 will preempt the default search paths if you have BOOST_ROOT
defined in your environment variable. I have no idea how it resolves
binaries since bjam doesn't build them in an installation-like layout.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]