Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.Filesystem with MSVC8 & STLPort linker errors
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-12 11:10:03

Craig Henderson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an application using Boost.Filesystem, Boost.Thread and others, that
> I am building on Windows XP using MSVC8, STLPort and Boost 1.39.0. I have
> built Boost using Boost Jam 3.1.17 and STLPort.

How exactly? What commands did you type, and what configuration files are you
using? Did you use stdlib=stlport ?

> Using the MSVC native STL I
> get no errors and everything runs well, but with the STL version, I have
> four linker errors; all from Boost.Filesystem.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem before and found a solution, or give me
> a clue what might be wrong?
>
> Many thanks
> -- Craig
>
> 1>fsdatasource.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "class
> boost::filesystem::file_status __cdecl
> boost::filesystem::detail::status_api(class
> stlpd_std::basic_string<char,class stlpd_std::char_traits<char>,class
> stlpd_std::allocator<char> > const &,class boost::system::error_code &)"
> (?status_api_at_detail@filesystem_at_boost@@YA?AVfile_status_at_23@ABV?$basic_string@
> DV?$char_traits_at_D@stlpd_std@@V?$allocator_at_D@2@@stlpd_std@@AAVerror_code_at_syst
> em_at_3@@Z) referenced in function

The general procedure for debugging unresolved symbols can be found at:

        http://vladimir_prus.blogspot.com/2009/06/linking-101.html

My guess in this case is that Boost was not actually built with STLPort, which
you can probably check by looking at the symbol table of the library with
whatever tool is suitable (dumbpin?)

- Volodya