Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost.Test] [1.38] Handling unexpected exceptions and system errors
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-26 15:56:50

Greg Christopher <gchristopher <at> vmware.com> writes:

> Hi,
> One of the things that sets boost apart from other frameworks
> is its ability to handle exceptions and report them.
>
> While I've used the BOOST_CHECK_THROW and BOOST_CHECK_EXCEPTION
> macros, I'd like a way to pass if an exception is thrown that we
> don't necessarily understand how to mention in the BOOST_CHECK_THROW
> or BOOST_CHECK_EXCEPTION macros. BOOST_CHECK_NO_THROW just makes
> sure no exception is thrown. In some ways it's an odd request to
> say "I expect some exception to be thrown that I do not care to
> specify", but that would work for us.

1. You can probably use std::exception. Chances are all your exception
derive from it.

2. You can always write try catch(...) block yourself and check for you
need there.

3. It's usually better to design system that throws something specific.

> In addition, it would be nice (and I bet it's already available)
> to be able to say "allow next test case to run in event of exception"
> or "allow next test suite to run In event of exception". Right now,
> all testing does seem to abort (none of the above macros are either
> present or coded in a way to match the system issue.

Uncaught C++ exception is not fatal condition. The rest of the test
units are expected to run fine. Please post an example if this is not the case.

Gennadiy