Subject: [Boost-users] Query on implementing a lock manager
From: dhruva (dhruva_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-03 23:57:04

Hello, I am looking for a centralized or distributed lock manager. My needs are simple. I have names for each shared resource, I want to have advisory reader and writer locks on those named resources. I can implement it by having a server which serves all the lock requests. Each named lock will be a boost reader writer lock (which are implemented using atomic operations). Since lock requests come over TCPIP, the client (lock requester) will block till the server sends a response. Using non blocking sockets, the client can have a lock with time outs or async locks. If there is something similar available, I rather reuse than implement it from scratch. This requirement is to have some locking on files that intend to share using NFS and CIFS. Since NFS and CIFS servers are different, I will not get a common lock manager. I do not need sophisticated byte rane locking (fcntl), just a reader/writer lock on the file would do. Also, I ensure that the part of file path is unique and common across shares. This can be used as the resource name across the network. Any suggestions, ideas or links would be of real help. -dhruva Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com