Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Possible to put path to boost library somewhere else than Jamroot file?
From: s seelenluft (sseelenluft_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-09 08:36:56

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> In that case, you can also put file named project-config.jam in the root of
> your
> project and *do not* add it to any version control.
>
> > But without fully understanding it, I put your
> > above-mentioned line into the user-config.jam file, it does not work (it
> > complains about not finding the boost library, or more specifically the
> > specific file I included in the header of my .cpp file). Trying out:
> > project myprojectname : requirements
> <include>/usr/local/include/boost-1_39
> > ;
> > also does not work.
>
> This is fairly strange -- this functionality is available for years. Please
> pass --debug-configuration and note which user-config.jam is being loaded
> --
> maybe you have one in home.

I have figured it out. Whereas the Jamroot file can take a relative path,
the user-config.jam needs the absolute path. Why would I use the relative
path for the boost library? Simply because, I only have access to my home
folder on the Linux machines, thus I put everything (bjam binary,
boost-build 'library' and boost library) into my home folder and found it
easier to use the relative path.

The user-config.jam method works [with the absolute path and the project
name], the project-config.jam file does not work (according to
--debug-configuration bjam never looks for a project-config.jam). But even
if it worked, I probably would prefer the .bashrc route as I often check out
multiple versions of my code, have to add a non-versioned file to each of
these every time, is more cumbersome then by using an environment variable
in the .bashrc file.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Markus