Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [filesystem] Extracting a relative path.
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-13 07:17:25

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Robert Jones <robertgbjones_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm trying to understand how to determine the relative path of one absolute
> path to
> another.
>
> So,
>
> c:\a\b\c.d
>
> relative to
>
> c:\a
>
> and I'd like the answer to be
>
> b\c.d
>
> I thought this would be easy to do, but I can't see how.
>
> Any thoughts?

I have also needed this functionality. It is my belief that there is no such
functionality in Boost.Filesystem. I have coded simple routine that works on
the tiny subset of platforms and filesystems that I am currently targeting.
I find that I need this functionality frequently. I would like to see such
functionality added to Boost.Filesystem. I'm pretty sure that there are
enormous difficulties when one considers symbolic links etc. However perhaps
if the difficulties in addressing these challenges prove to be
insurmountable we could provide an implementation with some strong
pre-conditions.

> Thanks, Rob.

Regards,
Neil Groves