Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Build error
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-14 03:00:21

OvermindDL1 wrote:

> I am attempting to build boost, first I set some environment vars
> (some may not be useful anymore, but I still set them):
> set BZIP2_SOURCE=G:\SDKs\boost\bzip2-1.0.4
> set ZLIB_SOURCE=G:\SDKs\boost\zlib-1.2.3
> set HAVE_ICU=1
> set ICU_PATH=R:\SDKs\icu\icu
> set EXPAT_INCLUDE=G:\SDKs\expat\expat_cvs\expat\lib
> set EXPAT_LIBPATH=G:\SDKs\expat\expat_cvs\expat\win32\bin\release
>
> I then call:
> bootstrap.bat
> bjam --build-type=complete --toolset=msvc-8.0 --without-mpi
> --without-python --prefix=R:/SDKs/boost/built_head
> --build-dir=R:/SDKs/boost/build_head define=_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE
> define=_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE define=_SECURE_SCL=0
> define=_SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE define=_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0
> install>..\build-HEAD.log
>
> And my build-HEAD.log contains:
> Note: Building Boost.Regex with Unicode/ICU support enabled
> Using ICU in R:\SDKs\icu\icu/include
> warning: Graph library does not contain MPI-based parallel components.
> note: to enable them, add "using mpi ;" to your user_config.jam
> error: link=shared together with runtime-link=static is not allowed
> error: such property combination is either impossible
> error: or too dangerious to be of any use
>
> I have never seen those last three errors, and other then the
> bootstrap my commands have not changed in many many versions. What is
> causing them?

I think this matter was raised on this mailing list before -- IIRC,
ICU has only shared version, so trying to mix it with runtime-link=static
is not going to work. I suggest you don't use --build-type=complete, and
explicitly request the variants you want -- and don't request static runtime.

HTH,
Volodya