Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Building boost faster: /MP
From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-15 15:40:51

Igor R wrote:
>> If this is a compiler flag, then can you try full build with
>>
>> cxxflags=-MP
>>
>> and then without and report the timings? If this is a magic way to make
>> builds faster, it can be enabled by default.
>>

> It is a compiler flag, and it really improves build times in milticore
> environment, but it's somewhat limited:

But /MP only affects cl.exe when you give it more than one source file,
and AFAIK bjam still spawns one cl.exe per source file. (Which is a
pity. The way cl.exe works, I believe it actually improves compile time
to give it multiple files to work on even without /MP.)

Try the -j option to bjam instead, to make it spawn multiple cl.exe
processes.

Sebastian