Subject: [Boost-users] [boost][format] How does one determine the number of format arguments?
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-21 08:57:34

Dear all,

Please accept my apologies if this ends up being a double post. I am having
trouble with posting to the boost mailing lists.

I have the need to obtain the number of 'arguments' (the %1% thingies!) in a
boost::format. Is this functionality supported in a manner that I have
failed to find in the documentation?

If it is not supported, would it be a worthwhile addition since it seems
easy to add assuming the num_args_ member variable is the information I
require and that validation code of boost::format instances is commonly very
useful. I have rarely executed error code that uses boost::format that is
difficult to test, but by adding a StringTable that loads at module startup
and wraps the boost format, I can provide compile-time validation of much of
the formatting code, and runtime validation of the format strings at module
startup. This would make it much easier to test.

Regards,
Neil Groves