Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [bind] and streaming operators for built in types.
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-26 18:27:45

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Steven Watanabe<watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> AMDG
>
> Robert Jones wrote:
>>
>> I've asked a similar question before, but I can't seem to locate the mail
>> or
>> recall the
>> answer! In the code below, how can I eliminate f()?
>>
>> #include "boost/iterator/counting_iterator.hpp"
>> #include "boost/bind.hpp"
>> #include <iostream>
>>
>> using namespace std;
>> using namespace boost;
>>
>> ostream & f( ostream & s, int i ) { return s << i; }
>>
>> int main( )
>> {
>>  for_each(
>>      make_counting_iterator( 0 ),
>>      make_counting_iterator( 10 ),
>>      bind( & f, ref( cout ), _1 ) );
>> }
>>
>> If I write something like
>>
>>      bind( static_cast< ostream & ( * )( ostream &, int ) >( operator <<
>> ),
>> ref( cout ), _1 )
>>
>> the compiler can't locate operator<<()
>>
>> Any thoughts, solutions even?
>>

> operator<< for int a member function.
>
> template<class charT, class traits>
> basic_ostream<charT,traits>&
> std::basic_ostream<charT,traits>::operator<<(int n);

Look at Phoenix's bind instead of the root bind. Phoenix's bind
combines the root bind and lambda's bind all in one. something like
this I think would work:
// these are all phoenix's version, do not include boost bind, you do
not even need bind...
int main( )
{
 for_each(
     make_counting_iterator( 0 ),
     make_counting_iterator( 10 ),
     cout<<arg1 );
}

I do not remember if cout need to be phoenixized or not, if that does
not work then tell me and I will compile a quick file for a test to be
sure. You might need to put the phoenix ref(cout) instead of just
cout as well, do not recall off hand...

Phoenix docs: http://spirit.sourceforge.net/dl_docs/phoenix-2/libs/spirit/phoenix/doc/html/index.html