Subject: [Boost-users] Linker errors with boost's threading and python libs, OSX
From: Shamyl Zakariya (shamyl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-30 09:38:02

Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded boost to 1.4, from 1.36. A big jump, but hey why
not. I'm running OSX, 10.6 with the most recent dev tools ( Xcode 3.2,
GCC 4.2, etc ) and used the bjam build system as described on the
website. Vanilla install to /usr/local/ giving me the static and
dynamic libs in /usr/local/lib.

Two (related) questions:

1) My project ( built in Xcode ) uses mostly header-based libs, but
does link against libboost_thread.a -- and now it throws all sorts of
linker errors when it worked just fine linking against 1.36

For example:
   "boost::thread::~thread()", referenced from:
   void boost::checked_delete<boost::thread>(boost::thread*)in
QTFrameTransfer.o
/// many many more

And for reference, I really *am* linking against libboost_thread.a

2) My related followup question -- I've *never* been able to link
against libboost_python.a. So in the past I added the full source from
$BOOST/libs/python/src to a sub-target of my project and manually
build my own libboost_python.a which I then linked against. That
worked fine. But I don't understand why I can't link against /usr/
local/lib/libboost_python.a

I have to assume something's wonky with the way bjam is building these
libraries. But I'm following the out-of-the-box install instructions.

Finally, I assume I could just build my own local boost the way I used
to build boost's python. But I'd rather use the versions in /usr/local/
lib...

shamyl zakariya
        - squamous and rugose