Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] binary archiver with generic primitive types
From: Florent Teichteil (florent.teichteil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-31 13:48:28

Robert Ramey a écrit :
> Florent Teichteil wrote:
>> This compiles fine except that I get some linker errors concerning the
>> basic_binary_oarchive and the basic_binary_oprimitive classes. For
>> instance:
>> undefined reference to
>> `boost::archive::basic_binary_oprimitive<boost::archive::tbinary_oarchive<unsigned
>> char>, unsigned char, std::char_traits<unsigned char>
>> It seems that parts of the serialization library's code is outside the
>> definition classes, preventing to extend it with different binary
>> types... Is there a workaround?
>
> certain code should be explicitly instantitiated. Look at
> binary_?archive.cpp in libs/serialization/src directory
> to see how this is done.

Thank you for your help.
I tried to copy/paste these files into my project and to modify them in
order to compile with different primitive types. But new linker errors
arise because more source files are required. Besides, copying Boost
files in local project source files is dangerous because the copied
files have to be updated along with new Boost versions...

So I give up, but I would strongly recommend to allow native template
archivers with generic primitive types in the Boost serialization library.

Thanks again,
Florent