Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Usingboost::serializationinreal-timewithoutallocating memory
From: Brian Wood (woodbrian77_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-21 21:40:49

Stefan Strasser writes:

> that's the same approach.
> code seems to be written by an external code generator instead of a c++
> compiler, but there is no difference beyond that, is there?
> .NET for example implements serialization based on its reflection
mechanism.
> it iterates at runtime through the (reflected) fields of a class and
extracts
> the data.
> I don't think an external code generator is "cleaner".

I don't claim that an external code generator is cleaner,
but that the Ebenezer approach is cleaner, since it
(usually) writes marshalling functions at build time.
C++ compilers should have been able to do that for
10 years now, but for whatever reason that isn't
being developed.

Regards,
Brian Wood
http://webEbenezer.net <http://webebenezer.net/>

"Then Samuel took a rock and set it up between
Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer [Rock of
Help] and said, 'Until now the L-RD has helped us.'"