Subject: [Boost-users] Boost serialization libray 1.32 & 1.39 compatibility issue ( from "To DO" list)
From: sam p (sameersp21_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-25 06:01:02

Hi,

             I am facing backward compatibility problem with boost
serialization library 1.39.

My setup is something like this,

(1) I have one version of my program that is built using boost 1.32
serialization library, lets call it 1_32.exe

(2) I have another version of my program that is built using boost 1.39
serialization library, lets call it 1_39.exe

(3) These two versions of my program communicate with each other over
network and they use boost text serialization to exchange data.

(4) Program 1_39.exe is able to deserialize data sent by 1_32.exe but
1_32.exe is not able to deserialize data sent by 1_39.exe

While debugging this problem I realized that program 1_39.exe is putting
archive version as “5” and 1_32.exe is putting archive version as “3”. This
results into 1_32.exe throwing “Unknown version” exception. While going
through boost documentation I read about “Back Versioning” description
provided at
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/libs/serialization/doc/todo.html#backversioning

Looks like its not very difficult to address this issue if we modify some
code in boost serialization library.

            Are you planning to address this in near future or can you
please advice me on the files those need to be changed? Or is there any
simple workaround as a stop gap measure to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Sameer