Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Numpy ndarray as argument or return value using boost python
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-12 18:00:54

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Pim Schellart <p.schellart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I tried to find a good example for this but after spending two days on
> google and one day getting pyublas to compile I decided to call for
> help.
> I want to give a numpy ndarray as an argument to a c++ method,
> calculate something and return the output as an ndarray to Python.
> I would prefer not to use another library (such as PyUblas) for this
> so I do not have to add another dependency to my program.
> Since the latest information on boost python is quite outdated (uses
> numeric) I would like to know the following.
>
> 1. Is boost python still maintained or should I switch to another tool.
> 2. Is numpy supported, and if so,
> 3. can someone give me a basic example of how to use it.

1. Yes, Boost.Python is still maintained and works find.
2. Yes, Boost.Python supports any and all libraries that communicate
through python, you would just use the ndarray just like any other
Python Object.
3. Give an example of how you use it in Python and we can give you an
example of how you would do it from the C++ side, it is a pretty
direct 1-to-1 mapping (have you gone through the Boost.Python
tutorials and documentation yet?).