Subject: [Boost-users] [log] Status & getting started?
From: Allen Cronce (allenslists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-13 18:40:36

Hi all,

Currently we're using the John Torjo boost log implementation. Nothing
seems to be happening with that library, so I'm exploring moving to a
different logging solution.

The Andrey Semashev log candidate seems to have some steam behind it.
It got reviewed in February, an "RC3" version was deposited in the
vault in August, and it looks like there's recent activity in its svn
repository.

But it's hard to get a clear picture as to its status. Can someone
(Andrey?) give me some idea as to where this library is in the
acceptance process?

Assuming that this library is moving forward, what's the best way to
get started with it? One advantage of the Torjo library was that it
was header only. Looks like the Semashev version requires building.

I have some reluctant experience with building boost as a whole
(because I seem to end up doing it once a year or so). But I have no
experience with building individual pieces like this.

We're still using boost 1.36. I can see a post from Boris Schaeling
indicating that the log library from February seems to work with this
version. That's good news.

But we're moving to 1.40 shortly. Does it make sense to take the 1.40
sources, graft in the log candidate sources in the expected places,
then turn a build of the whole shebang? If not, can someone provide
pointers regarding building individual libraries?

Thanks in advance for information regarding the logging library's
status, and any suggestions getting started with it.

Best,

--
Allen Cronce