Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.Asio -- combining sync read with async read
From: Igor R (boost.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-15 12:01:40

> So I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "the server might send a few
lines in a bunch." The server will only send one line at a time, in that it
will call write_async for every line that it sends-- it will never call
write_async on more than one line.

I meant to say: "if your protocol doesn't oblige the server to wait for
client's acknowledge after every line."

> However, the client might be doing some processing so the server might
send a few lines before the client "comes up for air" next. If that's the
case then all three lines will end up in the same buffer when the read_async
handler is called?

Right.

> In reading through, it occurs to me that I might be making the same
mistake with write_async -- i.e. if I call write_async twice in quick
succession, that could cause a problem unless I wait for the first
write_async to complete before I call write_async a second time?

Yes, it was discussed several times:
http://groups.google.com/group/boost-list/browse_thread/thread/a75fd0a3623831d9