Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.40.0: How to get 'libboost_regex-vc90-mt-sgd-1_40.lib' for VC++ 2008?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-19 14:10:25

From: boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Ray Burkholder
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 2:20 PM
To: boost-users_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.40.0: How to get
'libboost_regex-vc90-mt-sgd-1_40.lib' for VC++ 2008?

> This is what I use to build a static version:
> bjam --layout=versioned --toolset=msvc-9.0 variant=debug threading=multi
link=static runtime-link=static stage

I'm sure that this is accurate advice, but I note that there *still* seems to be
an endless stream of questions of this type.

Building libraries is obviously *still* causing trouble to many users,
especially novices (and me if having a 'senior moment'!).

I wonder if Boost Library generation would cause less puzzlement if a collection
of the most commonly required *command files* was provided, instead of
'type/paste this command string' documentation?

The bjam commands get uncomfortably long for typing in, and don't allow
annotation and comments on possible variants.

(There might need to be different versions for Linux, Windows and MacOS, but
these could be in different directories).

I suspect many of these command files are already in use and could easily be
contributed?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow