Subject: Re: [Boost-users] asio stability and scalability
From: Jonathan Franklin (franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-20 19:44:33

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Eric Twietmeyer <zimbus26_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> This current project
> requires UDP as well as TCP, and it seems somehow to be the UDP
> communication in particular that is initiating the problem (we can sort of
> remove the UDP portion and then this problem does not occur).

FWIW, we have an application that runs on XP which uses ASIO with both
UDP and TCP. We talk to a third-party server that uses UDP broadcasts
to tell us what TCP server endpoints (multiple) to connect to. We
then connect via TCP, and do fairly high-throughput data transfer
(gig-e speeds) using async_read(). The app is constantly receiving
UDP broadcasts, via async_receive_from().

I also wrote a simulator for the third-party server that uses ASIO to
do non-blocking UDP broadcasts, asynchronously handle TCP connects,
and synchronous TCP writes.

We have experienced no issues using both TCP and UDP with ASIO within
the same app framework.

Jon