Subject: [Boost-users] [asio] why no random_access_handle on non-windows platforms?
From: Zachary Turner (divisortheory_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-04 15:59:25

I notice there's a random_access_handle on windows, and is needed in order
to use functions like async_read_some_at.

Am I missing some obvious reason why there is not an analagous random access
handle for posix systems? I guess I can define my own
posix::random_access_handle, posix::basic_random_access_handle,
posix::random_access_handle_service just like is done for windows, but i
don't see why there is anything windows-specific about random access handles
in the first place.

Ultimately I need to be able to perform random access asynchronous file i/o
on both linux and windows using a single codebase.

Any advice appreciated.