Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Spirit] [bind] Compiler warning dependent on number of rules?
From: Norbert Wenzel (n_wenzel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-05 18:33:49

OvermindDL1 wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Norbert Wenzel <n_wenzel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently parsing some data using Spirit together with boost::bind
>> to set the callbacks for Spirit. In release build I get a compiler (gcc
>> 4.4.1) warning from bind:
>> warning: dereferencing pointer ‘val’ does break strict-aliasing rules
>
> Not sure what is causing the problem, do you have a reduced test-case
> we can see?

I could reduce the test case so much, that there was no warning anymore.
I can only reproduce the warning when using the bjam configuration, that
also builds my project. Copying the g++ parameters from the bjam build
and using them directly, does not make gcc issue any warnings. So I
guess the problem is anywhere in my build configuration, but not in the
code.

> Also, two things.
> 1) You *really* should be posting this to the Spirit mailing list
> instead, will get faster responses and from knowledgeable people.
Sorry, I didn't know about the Spirit specific list. Next time the
questions will go there.

> 2) You *really* should be using Spirit.Qi, not Spirit.Classic. Your
> grammar's will be much shorter, much faster, and much easier.
Maybe I should give it a try, but I was simply finding more tutorials
faster for the classic version.

Thanks for your help.
Norbert