Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Transfering the process state to another process
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-07 20:37:14

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Lloyd <lloyd_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>  We want to have a program which cannot be terminated by the user (even
> admin). I think the only way to do this is to write a watchdog process. So
> there will be a master and a slave process, the master will be the active
> process, and the slave keep on watching the master. I case if the master is
> terminated, the slave become master and initiates a new slave process. But
> we need to transfer (or share) the process state of "old master" with the
> "new master" (So that the new master can continue form where the old master
> has stopped). Is this possible with shared memory?

That might be hard, I can think of a number of ways to kill an entire
tree of processes. Unless, say you are running on windows, you inject
code into the running process system or winlogin.exe and have that act
as your watchdog, or insert a low-level system hook to watch for all
events passing through windows and block any that try to destroy your
processes, but even all of that can be worked around. Security at the
OS level, block access to the user would probably be the best bet
(easier and safer on *nix then Windows). And of course, nothing helps
if they have physical access to the machine. :)