Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [config] disabling _MSC_EXTENSIONS disables win32
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-11 12:37:04

> -----Original Message-----
> From: boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of Igor R
> Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:57 PM
> To: boost-users_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [config] disabling _MSC_EXTENSIONS disables win32
>
> > The point is that with /Za you can't #include windows.h or use any platform
specific
> features, so that makes it very hard (impossible?) to compile code that is
binary
> compatible between /Za and not /Za.
>
> Ok, I see now, I jumped to conclusions too quickly...
> So it turns out that /Za is absolutely useless for any win-based
> development, which is very frustrating.

But NOT useless for detecting potential problems with *other* platforms.

So *testing* it using /Za isn't useless, for the tiny cost (and admittedly
modest likelihood of finding problems).

If /Za isn't possible, then it warns that there is a significant risk it won't
work on other platforms.

(But not *certain* to fail because the coding may carefully cope with multiple
platforms - like Boost.Filesystem).

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow