Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Exceptions and throwing across module boundaries
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-11 20:45:34

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Josh Faust <jfaust_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I suppose my impression was that exceptions are an even worse case -- but
> now that I think about it we've run into other compiler setting ABI issues
> before as well.  Maybe this is a non-issue because we're not trying to
> provide a perfectly clean interface (char* and other builtins only).

Right, an old-school C interface defined in terms of built-in types
and pointers to incomplete types is the way to go if a stable ABI is
important, though there is some value in also allowing things like
shared_ptr and function to pass through the interface barrier because
they are more resistant to breaking due to ABI incompatibilities
compared to "general" code.

As far as I'm concerned, if a C++ interface uses anything more than
that, then building everything from source using compatible compiler
settings is required.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.