Subject: [Boost-users] [Ubuntu 8.04] Linking Problem in Eclipse with Boost 1.41 Libraries
From: Brooks Garrison (bgarisn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-24 17:45:48

Hello all,

My question is concerning the Boost installation process. I am
currently working on a machine that has Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. I have
downloaded the latest copy of Boost (1.41.0) and am trying to
successfully install it. I have followed the procedures for building
the libraries such as Filesystem / Regex / Thread / etc. using both
the bootstrap, "easy", method and the "build custom binaries" method.

I'm using Eclipse as my C++ development environment and I can create
programs that use the Boost headers (the ones that do not require
compilation - ie. Lambda) just fine. When I try to implement the
sample program that incorporates [regex], I am able to compile and
link just fine. I've set the include directory to (
/usr/local/boost_1_41_0/prefix/include - prefix was just the name I
gave the folder), the library search path to (
/usr/local/boost_1_41_0/prefix/lib ) and the library I wanted to link
to, [regex], using (boost_regex - I have also tried
boost_regex-gcc##-mt ).

As I said though, when I try to run the program, I get the result:

./boost_regex_test: error while loading shared libraries:
libboost_regex.so.1.41.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

I have not specified that I was using shared libraries, so I do not
understand why it is trying to look for them. If anyone could please
clarify why this is happening, I'd be more than greatful.

Just as an aside, I also tried downloading and installing Boost from
the Synaptic Package Manager that comes with Ubuntu 8.04. I'm able to
use all of the libraries when I do this, but I'd rather not because
the version of Boost is 1.34.1 (quite archaic) and has cause problems
because member variables have evolved and some no longer exist.

Thanks again for any and all help.