Subject: [Boost-users] Automating Serialization?
From: Bilokon, Paul (paul.bilokon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-26 08:05:18

Hi,

By design Boost Serialization requires the user to list each field that needs to be serialised.

This is in contrast, for example, with Java and some other languages where serialisation is supported (kind of) at the language level.

The current approach requires some code duplication. We have to declare a field. We have to manually (de)serialise it. If we need to make a change, we make it in at least two distinct places.

Is there any way to automate the process of serialisation, perhaps harnessing the power of the preprocessor? E.g. we could label the fields that need to be serialised. Is there anything in Boost that could help?

Many thanks,
Paul

Paul Bilokon, Vice President
Citigroup | FX - Options Trading | Quants
33 Canada Square | Canary Wharf | Floor 3
London, E14 5LB
Phone: +44 20 798-62191
paul.bilokon_at_[hidden]<mailto:paul.bilokon_at_[hidden]>