Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Ubuntu 8.04] Linking Problem in Eclipse with Boost 1.41 Libraries
From: Brooks Garrison (bgarisn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-01 10:40:49

Volodya,

Thanks again for your responses :)

> I recommend you add /usr/local/boost_1_41_0/prefix/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.
> This is not a workaround. This is the standard way to make shared libraries installed into a custom
> location be available at runtime.

> In fact, I'd recommend creating ~/local directory and using that as
> prefix for installing anything you install from source. Then, add
> ~/local/bin to PATH and ~/local/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and you'll
> no longer have to tweak any settings when you install something
> new.

I did this, and was able to get the Regex example to work. However,
when I went to test the Thread library (another that I am interested
using), I run into another linking problem but not during compile
time. I'm able to compile and link correctly:

make -k all
Building file: ../main.cpp
Invoking: GCC C++ Compiler
g++ -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"main.d"
-MT"main.d" -o"main.o" "../main.cpp"
Finished building: ../main.cpp

Building target: boost_thread_test
Invoking: GCC C++ Linker
g++ -L/home/bgarrison/local/lib ./main.o -lboost_thread -o
"boost_thread_test"
Finished building target: boost_thread_test

Build complete for project boost_thread_test

but when I try to debug (using the debugger in Eclipse), I get the
following message:

/home/bgarrison/Code/boost_thread_test/Debug/boost_thread_test: error
while loading shared libraries: libboost_thread.so.1.41.0: cannot open

This is strange to me because, I know the file it's looking for is in
the directory specified by the -L parameter. :(

Thanks for any and all advice.

~Brooks