Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost Unit Testing Macros on Visual Studio 2005/Visual C++ 8.0
From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-10 09:07:23

MSVC has a pragma-statement which causes the linker to atomatically link the
lib. Boost Test (as well as other boost libs, which are not only header
based) make use of this feature. Dependent on retrieved compiler settings
they calculate the name of the library to be linked and pass it to the
pragma-statement smth. like:

#pragma comment(lib, "lib-boost-test-whatever")

This causes the linker to atomatically link that library, the only
prerequisite is that it needs to find the path, where this lib can be
located. That's why you need to set Library Search Directory for VC.
Additioanlly, you can set this path globally in VC or locally only project
based. I usually do it locally and use the BOOST_ROOT environment variable.
That allows me to change the envvar and switch the path without changing the
VC project file (which might be under source control).

Regards,
Ovanes