Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] object tracking for shared strings
From: Joaquin M Lopez Munoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-17 16:25:32

Nils Krumnack <nils <at> fnal.gov> writes:

> > There is serialization for flyweight in the sandbox. However
> > it was implemented in a way which required changes in the
> > base library and it's interface. I couldn't accept this. But the
> > code is still there if anyone cares to check it out.
>
> I might come back to you on that. I have been thinking for a while of
> contributing something to boost, and this would be much more
> manageable than a whole library.

Hi Nils,

The serialization code you can find in the sandbox is probably
of little use to you, since it requires deep modifications in
Boost.Serialization itself that are not part of the official
library.

An obvious way to serialize flyweight<T> is to simply serialize
their underlying T values (you'll also need to use reset_object_address
if T of the tracked kind.) This has the disadvantage that when T is
not tracked thatyou'll get many repetitions of the saved values, and
thus big archives. The sandbox code tries to remedy this, but alas
at the expense of modifications to Boost.Serialization, as mentioned
above. I couldn't find a better solution, but I'd be delighted if
someone finds it. Count on me for help/guidance if you decide
to tackle the task.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo