Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [containers] defining the insertion point of non-unique keys
From: Olaf Krzikalla (olaf.krzikalla_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-18 10:54:54

Joaquin M Lopez Munoz schrieb:
> No, it's more general than this: assume we've got a container
> with elements
>
> a1, a2, ... , an, k1, k2, ... , km, b1, b2, ... , bl
>
> where k1, ... , km are equivalent (and the rest are not
> equivalent to these). Put A=[a1,k1), K=[k1,b1), B=[b1,end]. Now
> if we insert an element equivalent to these in K using hint p,
> then:
>
> * if p is in A, insertion takes place before k1,
> * if p is in K, insertion takes place before p,
> * if p is in B, insertion takes place before b1.
That was clear to me. However thanks for the example. I can use it to
describe the point of my uncertainty: assume our hint points to k2 and
we want to insert an element with key k (say kn). If "the position just
prior to k2" means k1, then it's unclear whether kn is inserted before
k1 or after k1 - both positions are equal close to k1. However if
"the position just prior to k2" means the position between k1 and k2,
then all is well defined and works as intended.

>> Thus boost:multindex complies to N1780(?).
> Yes.
Wonderful :-)

Best regards
Olaf