Subject: [Boost-users] How to use boost::asio to implement a synchronous operation with timeouts?
From: watsonsong (911songfeiyu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-22 02:40:31

    In the boost official documents, the example of timeouts in asio is
implements by asynchronous operations and a deadline_timer. But what I want
is a synchronous operation with a timeout, but I search nearly all of the
reference manual and find nothing about it.
    In an other words, how can I used the asynchronous operations to
simulate synchronous operations with timeouts.
    Maybe I could launch an asynchronous operation and call
io_service::run_one immediately, but I don't know whether it is safe when I
call io_service::run_one in a complete callback function which is call by
io_service::run?
    Or there is any classic solution of this question.
    Thank you.