Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Dynamically creating new units
From: Brandon Olivares (programmer2188_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-25 20:30:02

On 2009-12-25, OvermindDL1 wrote:
> Yep, that is the major hazard of C++. If you learn how to structure
> things differently and use forward declarations and less class member
> functions (use external functions instead, ala C), that can speed up
> compilation tremendously.

Well yeah, that's the problem. The units are all typedefs and constants so, AFAIK, you can't use forward declarations.

I'm hoping to perhaps do something similar to the runtime_unit.cpp example. I can declare all of the base units, so to speak, and then hopefully scale them as necessary.

I mostly want to be able to apply any of the SI prefixes to the metric units. Again though if I declare them explicitly, it takes forever to compile.

Thanks,
Brandon