Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [asio] Sending large packages
From: Matheus Araújo Aguiar (matheus.pit_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-05 05:55:18

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Nicola Michael Gutberlet <
nicola.gutberlet_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thank you for your replies. I wanted to tell you the error message thrown
> when trying to send larger packages but it seems to be solved. I don't know
> why or how...
>
> Anyway, it is sensible to check the maximum message size for the
> socket/OS/whatever. How do I get the information of the maximum size of
> messages I can write/read over my TCP socket? I noticed the option
> mentioned
> by Jason Felice "SO_MAX_MSG_SIZE" but the TCP socket doesn't support it. I
> tried to use an own template:
>
> boost::asio::detail::socket_option::integer<SOL_SOCKET, SO_MAX_MSG_SIZE>
> cOptionMaxMessageSize;
> socket->get_option( cOptionMaxMessageSize );
>
> But this also did not work - resulting in the option value -1.

Hi Nicola,
Note that in the code you posted, you wrote the option as "SO*L*_SOCKET,
SO_MAX_MSG_SIZE". You have an extra "L" there which might be causing your
value -1. Also, remember that as stated before, this option goes for
microsoft windows. There is no maximum size you can send through a socket,
although there is a MTU(Maximum Transfer Unity) and you should read more
about it if you are not familiarized with that concept. As said before, TCP
being a stream protocol, you have to ensure in a way or another (by putting
the size in front of data, or using an "END OF STREAM" mark) that your read
get all the bytes you expect.

Hope that helps!