Subject: Re: [Boost-users] utf8_codecvt_facet
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-11 04:47:25

Patrick Horgan wrote:

> utf8_codecvt is in libserialization and in libprogram_options

Not really. boost/program_options/detail/utf8_codecvt_facet.hpp only
includes boost/detail/utf8_codecvt_facet.hpp, with some setup.

> --I thought
> it was moving to utility? Is there one supported spot? Is there any
> documentation that talks about what to include and link?

The only documentation in the comment in boost/detail/utf8_codecvt_facet.hpp

> The .hpp file is still in boost/detail, boost/archive/detail,
> boost/program_options,boost_filesystem/src, and
> libs/iostreams/test/detail. Guess it's not cleaned up yet? Or maybe
> people didn't want cross dependencies?

Those are *different* .hpp files -- each forwarding the the one in boost/detail.

> Anyway I need to either use it or write one;) I'm not doing
> serialization or program_options (yet, who knows, just starting the
> project). I also need to be able to be able to deal with UTF-16, I
> don't suppose there's a codecvt facet for that, huh?

If you're on windows, wchar_t is only 16-bit anyway. If you are on a different
operating system, I don't know any code in Boost that will convert UTF-16
into a sequence of 32-bit wchar_t. However, the internet has a pile of such
converters and this topic was discussed on this mailing list, too.

- Volodya