Subject: Re: [Boost-users] read_graphviz in 1.4x series
From: Cyrus Hall (hallc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-14 12:33:47

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 18:07 +0100, Jeremiah Willcock wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Cyrus Hall wrote:
> > After upgrading from boost 1.38 to 1.40 in Ubuntu, read_graphviz now
> > prints to std::cerr the graph it has just read. I downloaded to the
> > source code to make sure this wasn't some cruft left over by the Ubuntu
> > package managers, and it seems these print statements are in the main
> > distribution package. This change seems to correspond with a complete
> > rewrite of the scanning and parsing underlying read_graphviz, which
> > seems to have happened between 1.39 and 1.40. 1.41 contains no changes
> > from 1.40 in read_graphviz_new.cpp.
> >
> > Is there someway I can get read of this
> > debugging output?
>
> Thank you for the bug report. This is now fixed in r59005; I will try to
> get it pushed into 1.42.0.

Thanks Jeremiah. As a temporary fix I redirected std::cerr during the
read. I then restore it after completion:

  std::ofstream dnull("/dev/null", std::ios::out);
  std::streambuf *orig = std::cerr.rdbuf(dnull.rdbuf());

  read_graphviz<digraph>(*instrm, g, dp);

  std::cerr.rdbuf(orig)

Hopefully that helps others until 1.42 is out.

Cheers,
Cyrus