Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Ease of use vs. stability
From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-19 11:53:18

Mathias and OvermindDL1, thanks!

Of course shipping part of Boost with my library might lead to substantial
problems for users who use other parts of Boost not included with my code
(and possibly other Boost versions than the one included in my code). They
then have to be really careful which part of their overall application
includes which header file from where, and which library(-versions) they
link with.

So I guess the best approach for me is to prevent only certain Boost
versions from being used with my code (e.g. 1.41 is not usable in my
context), and to work around more minor issues of other Boost versions.

Alternatively I might make usage of local, bcp-extracted Boost libraries
optional for the user. But that would require some massive hacking of my own
CMakeLists.txt file.

BTW, when playing with bcp, I noticed that some CMakeLists.txt files are
generated or copied for most extracted Boost libraries, but that there is
neither a top-level CMakeLists.txt, nor are some required cmake modules
copied, that are otherwise shipped with Boost 1.40 .

Thanks again and best Regards,
Ruediger