Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Embedding boost in a given project
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-25 20:51:13

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:54 AM, joel falcou <joel.falcou_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> In order to satisfy various users request and to limit potential whining
> about implicit dependencies on boost,
> I've started lookign at how to embed boost components into my own tools.
>
> What are the usual way to do that ? I pondered working with a given version
> (say 1.42) in which I could add w/e
> patches and fixed from the trunk along with my own custom patches. I then
> use BCP to extract sub boost compoennt to my
> release package.
>
> Now, the final funny thing is that, for various reason, we don't use bjam
> atm for our own product build.
> I guess adding a makefile fuel like dependency: bjam --with-xxxx is enough
> for example ?
>
> Any experience to be shared on that topic ?

If you are including Boost in BCP anyway, then:

If the libraries you are using are header-only, you do not need to
build anything from boost at all, just have your own code include it.

If there are libraries that are not header only, I have found it is
just about as easy to add the cpp files for those in my own project as
well (unless you need a shared library, but that is easy enough as
well).