Subject: Re: [Boost-users] C++ and quality of software
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-26 16:20:04

joel falcou a écrit :

> We're mainly bitching about stupid assertion like the Init() vs ctor or
> the noe xception rule

If you don't have exceptions, you *need* two-phase construction.

> which makes
> absolutely 0 sense in 2010.

Not using exceptions is very sensible if you:
  - have a lot of non exception-safe code
or
  - do not wish to write exception-safe code.

Google acknowledges that its developers aren't trained for this, and
since they've also got a lot of legacy code, they've got both reasons.

In any case, I prefer that kind of decision rather than using exceptions
without enforcing exception-safety, like most developers seem to do.