Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.36.0 with Linux 64bits
From: Mika Heiskanen (mika.heiskanen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 02:09:20

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Mika Heiskanen wrote:
>
>> JongKwan Kim wrote:
>>> It is linked to my code, but I still have a "Segmentation fault". I do
>>> not know why.....
>> Use valgrind or some other memory debugging tool to find out where the
>> program does the segmentation fault.
>
> valgrind is somewhat of an overkill as first measure. I'd recommend using
> a debugger, for a start. And, unless debugger shows something strange, I'd
> assume this is not a problem with how Boost is build, or with 32/64 modes.

In my experience for example gdb is not as reliable as valgrind for showing
the exact line where the segmentation fault occurs, I've gotten segmentation
fault notices in gdb in incorrect places several times, usually not distant
from the actual location, but nevertheless the exact line reported by valgrind
is much more useful information.

--> Mika