Subject: Re: [Boost-users] mix usage of boost.thread and pthread?
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 17:46:12

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Hua Su <huas.su_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is it OK to use both pthread and boost.thread in the same program under
> linux? E.g., there are two cases:
> 1. use pthread api to create/join/detach/cancel threads but use
> boost.thread's mutex/condition_variable etc. to do thread synchronization,
> and this_thread/sleep/get_id/thread_local_storage etc..
> 2. use boost.thread api to create/join/detach/interrupt thread but use
> pthread api to do thread synchronization.
> I know boost.thread is a pthread api wrapper under linux, but I'm afraid of
> that the two cases above aren't safe if boost.thread uses some tricks I
> don't understand.
> Would you kindly give any hints?

I do not program much using pthreads, so I cannot say about it for
sure, but about other threading back-ends I know that you can use them
both in the same program, but they do not mix as Boost.Threads
registers things and so forth (else things like this_thread will not
work on non Boost.Threads).

Why would you want to mix them anyway?