Subject: [Boost-users] [random] present library status and doc
From: Thomas Mang (thomasmang.ng_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-01 00:56:24

Hi,

What is the present library status of the random library,and in how far
are the documentation and the code base out-of-sync ?

I just tried a variate_generator with mt19937 as engine and a
normal_distribution as distribution. IIRC, then some years ago this did
not work as the normal_distribution requires an input in the [0,1]
range, but now it seems to work. Looking into the header files I
concluded under the hood there has been quite some development going on.

Also for uniform_01 things apparently changed quite a lot, there is now
also for example a new_uniform_01 etc.

My main questions:
Is the library presently under active development ?
Shall I rely on the docs, or not ? For example, is above normal
distribution now deliberately working, or am I relying on a deliberately
undocumented feature which might be removed later ?
Because many more distributions now exist I think the docs are just
totally out of date. Any plans of updating them ?

cheers,
Thomas