Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [BGL] predecessor map from a view on a multi_array
From: Jeremiah Willcock (jewillco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-03 13:59:23

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Geoff Hilton wrote:

> Hi, I'm currently using MSVC9 and the code listed below doesn't compile,
> instead producing the following errors and warnings:
>
> Warning 1 warning C4100: 'x' : unreferenced formal parameter c:\program
> files\boost\boost_1_41_0\boost\concept\detail\msvc.hpp 20 test
> Warning 2 warning C4100: 'id' : unreferenced formal parameter
> c:\program files\boost\boost_1_41_0\boost\graph\dag_shortest_paths.hpp 86
> test
> Error 3 error C2440: '<function-style-cast>' : cannot convert from
> 'int' to 'D' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
> 9.0\vc\include\limits 109 test

Do you have an instantiation stack for this? I can't see how it relates
to BGL otherwise.

> I know MSVC has issues with named parameters among other things, but I
> haven't been able to get it to compile with the non-named-parameters overload
> either, in this instance.
> What am I misusing and how am I misusing it? Also, I get the impression that
> the default combiner/comparer may be unsafe for floating-point comparisons
> and addition (with respect to over/underflow and comparing floating point
> values, I seem to recall it being a good idea never to compare with direct
> equalities, eg. x == infinity because of rounding issues).

I know there have been issues with things like load(store(a + b)) != a + b
before (due to rounding issues). I believe comparison to infinity is
safe, though, since that is a special value; checking online seems to
suggest that there is only one bit pattern for each infinity.
std::plus<double> should work since the CPU should handle infinity as a
special case. Even if the comparisons in closed_plus always return false,
the code should still work for float and double.

> Might it be a good
> idea to further specialize appropriate areas of the algorithm code to account
> for this, or am I over-generalizing(specializing?)? How about a specialized
> closed_plus<> in relax.hpp which makes the comparisons more safely for floats
> and doubles (since both parameters "a" and "b" of closed_plus must be of type
> T anyway)?

What comparisons need to be safer? Just comparison to infinity?

> #include <boost/graph/adjacency_list.hpp>
> #include <boost/graph/dag_shortest_paths.hpp>
> #include <boost/multi_array.hpp>
>
> namespace geoff {
> typedef boost::adjacency_list<boost::vecS, boost::vecS, boost::directedS
> ,boost::no_property, float> Graph;
> typedef boost::multi_array<boost::graph_traits<Graph>::vertex_descriptor, 2U>
> PredecessorsMatrix;
>
> typedef PredecessorsMatrix::array_view<1>::type PredecessorMap;
> } //namespace geoff
>
> int main(int /*argc*/, char* /*argv*/[])
> {
> const std::size_t num_agents = 3;
> geoff::Graph graph;
> geoff::PredecessorsMatrix
> per_agent_matrix(boost::extents[num_agents][boost::num_vertices(graph)]);
> geoff::PredecessorsMatrix::index_gen indices;
> std::size_t agent_index = 0U;
> geoff::PredecessorMap agent_x_predecessors =
> per_agent_matrix[indices[agent_index][boost::multi_array_types::index_range()]];
> boost::dag_shortest_paths(graph, 0,
> boost::predecessor_map(agent_x_predecessors));
> }

Is this the erroring code? What errors do you get from it?

-- Jeremiah Willcock