Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Serialization] Speedding upclient-servercommunication
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-05 22:13:18

Juraj Ivancic wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Juraj Ivancic wrote:
>
>>> This could be improved further:
>>>
>>> 1)By replacing stringstreams with something more lightweight.
>>
>> In small experiments, I've found this to make a big difference. And
>> it's not that hard as one needs only support a subset of the hole
>> streambuf functionality.
>
> I am not really a performance freak, but creating and destroying
> archives and streams really turned out to be bottleneck so I came up
> with this serialization technique. std::stream overhead never really
> bothered me so I left it there to this day (with a todo on top of it
> for some sunny day when there will be nothing else to do :) ).

Hmm- I thought that performance was the concern raised here. If
it is, you should definately look into replacing this. It will likely
have a bigger effect than the other changes you made.

Personally I don't believe that performance issues can every
be addressed without subjecting the code to profiling. The
serialization library has methods for doing this.

Robert Ramey