Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost] structure and (ABI) naming for 64 bit builds
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-11 11:11:14

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 07:05:54PM -0700, Brent Arias wrote:
> It will be a while before I can attempt to build boost or boost x64, but I wanted to know how it names or deposits the 64 bit binaries? Should I expect '64' embedded in the ABI tags like the following?
> ...Or should I expect that 32 bit binaries will show up in a "lib" folder, and 64 bit binaries will have the same names and show up in a "lib_64" folder?

None of the above. The library names and output folders are sadly
identical when building with address-model=32 vs. address-model=64.

I would be rather happy if a change towards adding an arch/OS tag
happened, as currently I must manually separate libraries for different
OSes and architectures.

There would be a need for some additional cleverness in the auto-link
bits of Boost.Config, but hopefully nothing horribly major. Most of the
work would be in BoostBuild I reckon.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]