Subject: [Boost-users] Object pools?
From: Ryan McConnehey (mccorywork_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-16 20:31:10

I recently had to create a class that managed a pool of objects for the
user. Instead of the user creating the object themselves they would ask
the class for an object. The class would hand the user a
boost::shared_ptr of the object. When the boost::shared_ptr needed to
destroy the object it handed it back to the class to reuse. The class
is designed for those areas that need a lot of the same object but not
all at the same time. This class has been useful for the boost::asio
library where the async_receive and async_write need the buffer to be
valid until the callback occurs. Other people at my work have shown
interest and I'm looking at needing to improve the class to make it more
general. Instead of spending time doing the improvements I would like
to know if the boost libraries have anything like what I described.
I'll looked through the descriptions but haven't seen anything that
comes close.

Ryan