Subject: [Boost-users] [Filesystem V3] Filesystem Version 3 beta 1 available for download and comment
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-18 09:43:15

The first beta release of Boost.Filesystem Version 3 is now available.

The documentation can be viewed at http://mysite.verizon.net/beman/v3/index.htm

Important differences from the prior version:
http://mysite.verizon.net/beman/v3/v3.html

The beta can be downloaded from the Boost vault.

See http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=Filesystem-V3

Installing the beta is described at
http://mysite.verizon.net/beman/v3/install_distro.html

I'm concerned about breaking existing code. While some workarounds
have been provided already, I'd open to further suggestions as to how
to mitigate code breakage.

The tentative plan for integrating V3 into the boost release cycle
involves several steps:

* For the first boost release cycle, ship V2 as the default, but V3 is
present and can be activated by users.

* For an additional boost release cycle, ship V3 as the default, but
V2 is present (but deprecated) and can be activated by users.

* For the following boost release cycle, V2 is removed and no longer supported.

The plan is to go through as many beta cycles as needed to reach
stability. Although quite a bit of testing has already been done, this
is definitely beta software that isn't ready yet for production use.

Any comments appreciated.

--Beman