Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Optional XML serialization
From: Paul (elegant_dice_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-23 08:50:16

On 23 February 2010 17:25, Rutger ter Borg <rutger_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that ptree is designed only for the most basic of
> > configuration requirements.
> > right?
> >

> Right, although I think there's some support for recursion (getting a ptree
> out of a ptree). If you would like edit your configuration files outside
> your program (or even across programs!), I would be very hesitant to use
> Boost.Serialization.

I agree with you, but in this case editing the configuration file
should only be required as a last resort.

IDEA: We could make the serialization XML format more robust if we
were able to add the tracking and version tag to *every*
<whatever_its_called>, and drop the class_id. At least then its much
more easy to hack the XML config file. At the moment you need to
predict the class_id which is more than you can expect of anyone,
including a programmer, trying to adjust the XML config file.

If the config file is mangled incorrectly, then I would want the
serialisation load to fail rather than (in the case of ptree) fail
gracefully.

My biggest concern is config file upgrading might become too complex
to manage if I need to change my app significantly. I guess I'll just
try and manage that.