Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [C++-sig] Boost python exception translation failure on BlueGene/P
From: James Amundson (amundson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-24 12:37:22

On 02/18/2010 04:24 PM, James Amundson wrote:
> Boost Python seems to be failing to catch and translate C++ exceptions
> for me on a BlueGene/P installation. I really don't know what to do

I have finally solved this problem myself -- I am responding to my own
message on these mailing lists in case this information is useful to
others.

In the end the solution was to add the flag "-dynamic" to the
libboost_python link line. Without the flag, boost::python mostly works
on BlueGene/P, but exceptions are not caught. With the flag,
boost_python passes all tests I have done.

I spent some time trying to understand how to tell bjam to add a flag to
the boost_python link line, but I gave up after about fifteen minutes.
With the CMake build of boost, it was easy: I simply did
     cmake -DCMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS="-dynamic"
Overall, I found dealing with the cmake build of boost so much more
pleasant than dealing with bjam that I don't understand why the CMake
build hasn't taken over the mainstream yet.

--Jim Amundson

P.S. The original problem report: